Saturday, July 22, 2006

Eating My Words

I read through Mimi Sheraton's memoir in just about a day. I didn't know much about her before this, but I've been on a food writing kick lately, having picked up Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires in the airport on my way home from SFO, and just having waded through Gael Greene's self-obsessed sex and eating universe in Insatiable. Sheraton has an easy way with words, and doesn't dwell too long on minutia, whether its about her personal life or a dining experience. That said, I felt at times she left things short, or held back, and I would have liked to have known more about her reviewing years, much like how Reichl centered her narrative in G & S. I have the two other Reichl tomes on my shelf, and am just getting started with her Tender at the Bone. I might switch back out to fiction, but this stuff is rather delicious fare, so who knows if I'll play the variety game, or keep feeding my interest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home